Today the Brazos Fellows had the chance to talk with Prof. Gerald McDermott, the Anglican Professor of Divinity at Beeson Divinity School. At Beeson, Prof. McDermott teaches on the history of doctrine, world religions, and Jonathan Edwards. Since the fellows just read Edwards last week with help from Bruce Hindmarsh, it was a real treat to talk to another scholar about Edwards’ remarkable theological vision of all of reality.
I also had the chance to sit down with Prof. McDermott for another round of “Five Questions in Ten Minutes.” We chatted about how Christians should understand Israel, his pick for best living theologian, and the work of fiction he called “a must-read for every Christian.” Listen to our conversation here:
Here are links to some of the items we talked about:
- Out of many books on Jonathan Edwards, here’s Prof. McDermott’s latest,Everyday Glory: The Revelation of God in All of Reality
- Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI’s encyclical “Spe Salvi” and book The Spirit of the Liturgy
- Mr. Blue by Myles Connolly
- Prof. McDermott’s book, Israel Matters: Why Christians Must Think Differently about the People and the Land
- The new biography, Frederick Douglass: Prophet of Freedom